Despite it being March, I had an idea to make Thanksgiving-themed meatballs made with ground turkey, cranberries and walnuts. It’s really hard to find fresh cranberries in March! I made these with frozen cranberries – I would’ve used fresh or even unsweetened dried cranberries if I could’ve found them, but this actually worked quite well.
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- frozen cranberries, couple handfuls
- Orange juice, just enough to soak the cranberries and a splash for the meatball mix
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- Seasoning to taste: salt, dried minced onion, paprika
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Thaw out a few handfuls of cranberries and chop up in little pieces, throw in a bowl with some orange juice to soak
- In a bowl, add ground turkey and garlic.
- Roughly chop walnuts and throw into bowl with turkey. Add in cranberries in a proportion that seems good to you and a splash of the orange juice. Add salt and other spices.
- Using your hands, combine, adjust proportions as you see fit, and then make balls and space evenly on the baking sheet.
- Cook for 18-23 minutes or until cooked through. Flip balls about halfway to brown both sides.
If you’re allowing yourself sweeteners, a drizzle of honey over these enhanced the flavor. This would be non-Whole30, though.
Serve them with your favorite Thanksgiving sides – I served with a mushroom and almond sautee.