When Instacart delivered me ground buffalo instead of ground beef, I was a bit nervous. I’ve eaten bison before, but for whatever reason (maybe all the amazing bison in Yellowstone?), I was not feeling it. I thought a chili would be a perfect way for me to eat it without thinking too much about it. This crockpot chili came out delicious – nothing weird about it – and was a great way to use up vegetables that I was nervous could go bad in a few days. Since I’m still eating mostly Whole30, there are no beans, but this is a recipe that you can adjust based on what is in your fridge.
What you need:
- 1 lb ground buffalo
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 handfuls of baby carrots, chopped
- 3 handfuls of white sliced mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- Your favorite chili seasonings: chili powder, cayenne, paprika, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin
- Chop your veggies and put into crockpot.
- Add seasonings, diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add buffalo.
- Mix and add some water, depending on how thick or soup-like you like your chili. I added 1 cup of water, which felt pretty good, I’d do 3/4 cup to 1 cup, personally.
- I cooked for 6 hours in our crockpot and it was ready to go.
- When I served it, I topped with some avocado and yuca chips for salt/crunch.
Do you use buffalo in place of beef for any recipes?