I really enjoy Jessie B’s blog – I think her recipes are delicious as is and great for healthy inspiration. I saw her Chicken Poppers and had to give them a go. Here’s my approach (very close to the original), but check out her page for more detail!
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- Bell pepper, diced (I used some red, orange and yellow – should equate about 2 bell peppers or be in a proportion with the chicken that you like)
- 1/2 onion, diced (I used yellow because it’s what I had, she used red)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 tsp each: chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt
- 1/4 tsp: cayenne pepper (if you like spice) – you can also use chili flakes
- Some oil to coat baking sheet (avocado oil is what we used)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and lightly coat with avocado oil.
- Combine ground chicken with peppers, onion, garlic and spices.
- Use your hands to make meatballs and place on baking sheet.
- Pour a little avocado oil on your hands and pat the meatballs.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until cooked through. If you have a broil setting, broil for 3-5 minutes to brown the tops (don’t think I did that but I can’t remember).
I served with asparagus, but that was sort of a strange choice. Would be great with guacamole, salsa or anything you’d think pairs nicely with fajita flavor.