I’m a huge fan of spinach artichoke dip and was really intrigued to try a dairy free, whole30 version. I worked off a recipe from Downshiftology – it was very tasty, but I’ll add a few learnings to the bottom of this post.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup cashews (raw, unsalted), soaked in water overnight
- 1 1/4 cup of whole30 mayo
- 1/4 cup water
- 16 oz frozen spinach (I used chopped), thawed and drained
- artichoke hearts (~13.5 oz), drained and chopped (see learnings)
- 1/3 cup white onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1/2 tsp salt (I used a little less, but I don’t like much salt)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (optional, I usually don’t add pepper due to personal preference)
- Soak cashews overnight
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a casserole dish in tinfoil (I knew my casserole dish would be too big, so I used the tinfoil lining to make a fake wall and make it smaller)
- Add cashews, mayo and water to blender and blend until creamy – transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix all together with a mixing spoon.
- Transfer into the tin foil lined dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- If you’re whole30 like me, serve with cucumber slices or raw bell pepper boats. If you’re not, I think this would be even better with pita chips or tortilla chips.
A few learnings:
- This really would be best with some sort of chip vessel of sorts – didn’t hit the spot in the same way with veggie slices.
- I used totally plain, frozen artichoke hearts. When I tasted them after they thawed, they didn’t have much flavor to get excited about. I think this would go a lot further with fresh and/or marinated artichoke hearts.
- If I did this again, I might try a little less mayo. More because, when eating it, I knew I was eating a lot of mayo, not because it necessarily held the recipe back. I also thought about using coconut cream – I might explore recipes that use that instead of or to offset some of the mayo.
- Thought this could also make a good stuffing/topping to chicken breast a la this recipe.
The featured image is my artsy spoon pic, but below is an unedited pic of it in the tinfoil for reference.