This started off as a total experiment after some impulse buys on my last shopping trip – prosciutto (since I can’t find any compliant bacon!) and macadamia nuts (after reading about a non-dairy ricotta using them). They came out so well; it’s the first recipe I can’t wait to make again – In fact, I’m making them again tomorrow for a potluck.
What you’ll need:
- Jalapeños, tops/stems cut off, halved and de-seeded
- Macadamia nut ricotta
- Prosciutto, enough to wrap each jalapeno half – I cut each slice in half length-wise, but depends on the size of your slice in the first place
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with tin foil (I didn’t grease it)
- Make macadamia nut ricotta
- I followed Nom Nom Paleo’s recipe exactly (link above) using my Blendtec
- It was a little salty for me, so I might go easier on the salt next time, but in the context of the popper, it was delicious, not too salty at all
- Fill each jalapeño half with the ricotta using a spoon and wrap it with a piece of prosciutto
- Put in oven for ~12 minutes (I checked them at 10)
These are a great appetizer, party dish, or side dish. De-seeding and cooking them makes them less spicy, but definitely still have a kick. Wash your hands thoroughly after preparing them, as you don’t want to accidentally get jalapeño in your eye.
As a reference, here is a photo of the macadamia ricotta.