I’ve been astounded by the talents of people across the interwebs who have discovered healthy alternatives to their favorite foods and put them at my fingertips. Take this dairy-free creamed spinach from Health Starts in the Kitchen. James and I had my brother over for a big porterhouse steak and made baked potatoes and creamed spinach – I did not miss the heavy cream at all.
What you’ll need:
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced finely
- Fresh baby spinach (I used a whole box and it really cooks down, so don’t be shy)
- Salt to taste
- Crushed red pepper, light, if you want a little kick
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk (full fat)
- Soften onions and garlic by cooking for 2-3 minutes in your pan with olive oil, coconut oil or ghee (I used olive oil)
- Add spinach and cover so it starts to cook down
- Add seasonings as it cooks down, mixing the spinach around
- Lower heat (medium to low) and add coconut milk; it should sit at least 1-2 minutes, but can simmer on low for longer if you’re waiting for other things to finish cooking and you want to keep it warm
This does not have a heavy coconut flavor – it tastes like it belongs next to a nice juicy steak.