I’m keeping track of the recipes I try, especially during the Whole 30. Tonight I tried Wholesomelicious‘ Slow Cooker Creamy Southwest Chicken, found here. It was easy to make with an easy clean up and I liked the creaminess of the sauce.
Follow her recipe for the how-to, but my only notes are:
- I used chicken breast instead of chicken thighs; I have a feeling the crispiness of the thighs would’ve been nicer on this. My chicken was frozen going in, not sure if that impacted the flavor or liquid amount at all, but it worked!
- I used 2 tbsp of potato starch instead of arrowroot because it’s what I had on hand. Could’ve probably even used more but I’ve never used a thickener before and wasn’t sure how it’d go.
- The cilantro (mine was de-thawed from frozen, hence the dark color; fresh would’ve been even better) and adding avocado enhanced the dish for me. Serve it with those and some generous spoonfuls of the sauce, that’s where the flavor is.
- I think this would be really great over rice and maybe even with shredded cheese to make it more Tex Mex, but alas, not Whole30.
- If I did it again, I’d give it a shot with a little less chili powder and a little more lime. After rubbing down the chicken, I wasn’t sure if I should put the rest of the sauce mix, I put a bunch of it in but not all.