This could also be called “Kitchen Sink Chili” as I think you could pretty much use whatever you got in the fridge/pantry. Since I’m doing Whole 30, though, I avoided the canned beans and went straight for the veggies.
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 zucchini
- 1 box of white mushrooms
- 1 bell pepper (I prefer orange or yellow)
- Red onion (I used half of a large one)
- Arrabbiata sauce
- Can of diced tomatoes
- Can of tomato paste (6 oz)
- Spices – chili powder, salt, crushed red pepper, onion powder, cumin
- Throw your ground turkey in the crockpot and wash your hands
- Chop up all your fresh veggies and throw them in as you go
- Throw in tomato paste (6 oz can) and some tomato sauce, like a cup or so, to make it more soup-like
- I threw in a little water too because it felt really thick, I did about a cup, and could’ve done less because I would’ve liked the end product to be a bit thicker
- Throw in some spices to your liking – I was heavier on the chili powder and onion powder (lighter if you use a lot of onion), medium on the salt, and light on the crushed red pepper and cumin
- Mix it all up and crockpot that baby until a convenient time, and then enjoy! I did 8 hours in the morning so it was ready for me after work.
This made about 4-5 servings and works great for leftovers.
My other Whole 30 meals that day were 2 eggs and baked sweet potato for breakfast, and a leftover lunch of potatoes and broccolini for lunch with a smoothie (carrot, beet, kale, strawberry, orange juice). Smoothies are not recommended on Whole30, but since I was missing protein, I was still hungry at lunch. Plus, they are damn delicious.